You are here
Born in Newcastle Australia in 1953 Ι studied archaeology (B.A) at the University of Thessaloniki, Greece and prehistory at the Institute of Archaeology, University of London, UK (M.A, Ph.D). I was elected Lecturer in the Department of Archaeology, University of Thessaloniki in 1988 and from 2007 I am serving as a Professor of Archaeology in the same institution where I am currently teaching prehistory and ethnoarchaeology. I was a Visiting Professor in 1999-2000 in the Department of Archaeology, University of Cyprus. I am the coordinator of the Archaeology Sector in the Greek Open University since 2002.
My teaching and research interests include the early prehistory of Greece (Palaeolithic, Mesolithic and Neolithic), Cyprus, Anatolia and the Near East as well as Ethnoarchaeology.
I have directed interdisciplinary archaeological and ethnoarchaeological field projects (excavations, surveys) in various parts of Greece and abroad (Spain, Cyprus. Sultanate of Oman) funded by the Greek State and private sources. There are 12 projects, directed by me, that are listed in the A.U.TH. Research Committee [Aristotle University of Thessaloniki]. In the Research Gate (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Nikos_Efstratiou2) a list of my archaeological projects (old and current) can be found, together with the relevant publications.
- Northern Sporades: Excavations at the Neolithic settlement of Agios Petros
- Thrace: Ethnoarchaeological Study in the Pomak area of the Rhodope Mountains, Excavations at the Neolithic settlement of Makri in Evros, Survey in the Rhodope Plain
- Western Macedonia: Archaeological survey in highland Pindus
- Crete: Excavations at the Neolithic settlement of Knossos
- Lemnos: Excavations at the campsite of Ouriakos
- Cyprus: Excavations at the campsite of Ag. Ioannis/Vretsia-Roudias
- Spain: Ethnoarchaeological study in the Valencia upland area
- Sultanate of Oman: Ethnoarchaeological Project in Ras-Al-Hadd
I have travelled extensively for scientific and research purposes in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, the Arabian Peninsula and the Caucasus. Over the years I have participated with papers in over one hundred Archaeological Conferences in Greece and abroad.
Among my publications there are three books (two of them in English), one monograph (in English) and over hundred articles in Greek and foreign periodicals. I am a member of the Editorial Board of the periodical Studies in Mediterranean Archaeology (SIMA).
Books – Monographs
- Archaeological Excavations in Central and Northern Greece (in collaboration with D. Leekley), p. 184. Noyes Press, New Jersey, 1980.
- Agios Petros - A Neolithic site in the Northern Sporades. Aegean relationships during the Neolithic of the 5th millennium BC. BAR. International Series 241, σελ. 429, Oxford, 1985.
- Ethnoarchaeological Investigations in Highland Rhodope (in greek). Thessaloniki, p. 398. Vanias Publications, 2002.
- Efstratiou, N - Karetsou, A - Ntinou, M 2013 The Neolithic Settlement of Knossos in Crete. New Evidence for the Early Occupation of Crete and theAegean Islands. INSTAP Academic Press.
- Early Neolithic settlement of Mavropigi in western Greek Macedonia, (in collaboration with G. Karamitrou-Mentessidi, M. Kaczanowska, M and JK Kozlowski), Eurasian Prehistory 12, 1-2, 47-116, 2015
- The late Epi-palaeolithic camp site of Vretsia-Roudias in upland Troodos: the third season of fieldwork (2011) (in collaboration with C. McCartney, P. Karkanas, D. Kyriakou), RDAC 1-34, 2017.
- Mountain Archaeology in Cyprus between the two Coasts: Past Experience and Future Prospects (in collaboration with D. Kyriakou. In Pilides, D and M. Mina (eds) Four decades of hiatus in archaeological research in Cyprus: towards restoring the balance, Proceedings of the international one-day workshop, Lefkosia (Nicosia), September 2016, 56-66. Department of Antiquities Cyprus, Nicosia, 2017.
- Η πρώιμη προϊστορία της Κύπρου: αναζητήσεις και προκλήσεις. Στο Παπαδημητρίου, Ν και Μ. Τόλη (επιμ) Αρχαία Κύπρος, 17-43. Ίδρυμα Νικολάου & Ντόλλης Γουλανδρή – Μουσείο Κυκλαδικής Τέχνης, Αθήνα.
- Social interaction in the farming communities of Neolithic Greece: Archaeological perceptions. In Sarris, A, Kalogiropoulou, E., Kalayci, T and L. Karimali (eds) Communities, Landscapes, and Interaction in Neolithic Greece, 319-323, Monographs in Prehistory: Ann Arbor, Michigan Press, 2018.